Wild Mushroom Risotto
Thanks to Ben Bebenroth & Spice Headquarters for the recipe!
Check out the full video – https://youtu.be/SDbnc25KwI8
Yield: 4 portions
- 4 cups chicken or mushroom stock
- 4-6 grinds of black pepper
- ½-1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup diced carrot
- ¼ cup finely minced onions
- 1 pound fresh wild mushrooms, trimmed, cleaned and sliced (see note)
- 1 ½ cups Italian Arborio rice
- ¼ cup white or rose’ wine
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1TBS fresh Parsley
- 1TBS diced carrot stems
- Place stock in a heavy saucepan, and over medium heat bring to a simmer, leave to simmer very slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a larger saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter in olive oil. When foam subsides, add wild mushrooms and allow to brown.
- Add onions, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and yellow but not browned.
- Add rice to mushrooms, and cook, stirring to coat well, with butter and oil.
- Deglaze with wine and cook down to au sec. (almost dry)
- Add approximately 3/4 cup of simmering stock to rice and mushrooms. Stir well and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until rice has absorbed most of stock. Continue adding stock to rice by the half-cupful, adding only after rice has absorbed previous addition. As cooking continues, you will have to stir more frequently. After 25 to 30 minutes, all the stock should be absorbed, and rice should be tender but still chewy.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in remaining butter and 1/4 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Garnish with a few leaves of parsley, fresh thyme and the diced carrot stems and a sprinkle of fresh Parmesan cheese.